Scholarships for Incoming Law Students
We are reducing the cost of our legal education.
We know that less student loan debt means our graduates have more choices about where they practice law and whom they serve.
In order to encourage our students to provide more legal services to diverse communities across Michigan and the nation, we are subsidizing a legal education for:
THOSE WITH A DEMONSTRATED COMMITMENT TO:
- Practicing law in the public sector
- Working in Indian Country
- Providing legal services to low-income or underserved communities in Michigan and across the nation
- Intellectual property and legal technology
- Inclusive leadership
We use a variety of scholarship funds to build our incoming class that is interesting, diverse, and excellent in every way.
We are looking for outstanding applicants whose interests and life experiences demonstrate LEADERSHIP, PUBLIC SERVICE, and PERSEVERANCE, including:
- First generation college students
- Native people
- Single parents
- Students with backgrounds in IP and emerging technologies
- Advocates for social justice and civil rights
MSU Law encourages you to submit your admissions application by March 1.
Things to Know
- MSU Law offers a variety of student scholarships. We will let you know your scholarship award in your admission letter. We want you to have all the information you need as you move into the next step in your decision-making about where to attend law school.
- No additional application is needed for scholarship consideration. We use the information you provide in your application to make our awards. If there is information that you would like for us to consider in the scholarship award process, please feel free to submit a supplemental statement. We encourage you to tell us what you think we need to know.
- All admitted applicants are automatically considered for institutional scholarship aid. No separate application is required for consideration. However, we encourage you to complete your FAFSA as soon after January 1st as possible.
- Scholarships are automatically renewable for all three years of study as long as you maintain good academic standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above).
These awards renew automatically for all three years, provided that you remain in good academic standing.
Admitted Students: Please note that the dollar amounts listed below under “opportunity” are already included within (i.e., not in excess of) your existing scholarship offer.
MICHIGAN ACCESS INITATIVE
Opportunity: $20,000 per year
Eligibility: For Michigan residents, with strong academic achievement, financial need, a commitment to serving Michigan’s communities, or a personal history of perseverance.
Additional law school planning resources available at industry partner AccessLex.