MSU College of Law News
NAACP LEADER TO HEADLINE DCL/MSU DIVERSITY WEEK ACTIVITIES
East Lansing, Michigan. -- The Student Bar Association of the Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University will celebrate Diversity Week 1999 with a variety of campus events beginning Feb. 8, including a presentation by Julian Bond, longtime civil rights activist and chairman of the board of directors of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
Bond will speak on Friday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m. in the Eli Broad College of Business auditorium. He is currently a Distinguished Scholar in Residence at the American University in Washington, DC, and a professor at the University of Virginia. [Note to media: a biography of Bond is attached. For interview availability, call Kristan Tetens at (517) 355-2281.]
"The purpose of Diversity Week is to educate ourselves about different cultures and to encourage discussion," said Quiana Atkins, DCL/MSU student and co-chairperson of Diversity Week. "We are especially pleased that Dr. Bond has agreed to join us. His lifetime of commitment to social justice makes him an outstanding role model for today's students."
All events are free and open to the public.
Monday, Feb. 8
- "Readers Theatre - Diversity Celebration" will feature MSU theatre students performing a staged reading of selections from history and literature. "Cultural Expressions" will include poetry and musical performances by DCL/MSU students and local author Sherry Brantley. The program begins at 7 p.m. in the Board Room of the Law College Building. This event is sponsored by the DCL/MSU faculty.
Tuesday, Feb. 9
- "Cultural Food Taste Test Day," 3 p.m., First Floor Lobby, Law College Building.
Wednesday, Feb. 10
- "Religion, the Law, and the Life of a Law Student," noon, Moot Courtroom, Law College Building. Sponsored by the Christian Legal Society.
Thursday, Feb. 11
- Lorraine Leroux, 1999 Prism Award Winner, will discuss gay and lesbian issues. The program will also include entertainment. Noon, Board Room, Law College Building. Sponsored by the Triangle Bar Association.
Friday, Feb. 12
- Julian Bond, chairman of the board of directors of the NAACP, 7 p.m., Eli Broad College of Business Auditorium. Sponsored by the MSU Office of the Provost, the MSU College of Social Science, the Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University, the DCL/MSU Student Bar Association, the DCL/MSU National Alumni Association, and the State Employees Credit Union.