TWEN Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need a Westlaw password to use TWEN? Yes, you will need a Westlaw password to be able to access TWEN. You may obtain a password by contacting James LaMacchia, Computer Services Librarian, at email@example.com or by phone at 517/432-6866. Be sure register your password before starting your TWEN course page.
2. How do I get started using TWEN? To access TWEN go to: http://www.lawschool.westlaw.com/. In the middle of the screen you'll see a box with several tabs at the top, click on the tab "TWEN". Enter your user name and password or your Westlaw password and click "Go". You will then be taken to the TWEN Welcome page and from here you can either begin your TWEN course page or view TWEN pages created by other MSU Law faculty. For more help, try the Administrator's Guide to TWEN.
3. How do I start my TWEN page? To begin your TWEN page go to the TWEN Welcome page (see question 2 above) and click on the black button labeled "Create a New Course" (near the top of the screen). This will launch the TWEN Site Wizard and it will walk you through the set up process.
Some things to consider before starting the course:
- Do you want to password protect the page? (not many instructors do this and if you do choose to password protect the page you will have to let your students know what the password is).
- Do you want to give TA’s or co-instructors administrative access to the TWEN page? If so you’ll need their Westlaw passwords.
- When do you want students to be able to access the page – immediately or do you want to give yourself some time to work on the site? (Registration date).
- What types of documents will you be posting and how do you want to organize them? (Document pages: Syllabus, Course Materials etc).
- Remember, you can always go back into TWEN and change your initial settings.
Your TWEN page will now be displayed whenever you login to the TWEN website.
Once you've created your TWEN page you can then add documents to it. See question 5 below for instructions on how to load documents.
4. I would like to post material that is not available in an electronic format, can someone scan it for me?Yes, the library staff can help you with scanning. Please contact the law library reference desk at 517/432-6870 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Do I need copyright permission to post material that has been published elsewhere? Probably. The library staff can place copyright clearance requests for you. Please contact the law library reference desk for general information at 517/432-6870 or by e-mail at email@example.com. For specific copyright request information please contact Janet Hedin at 517/432-6957 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. I've already created my TWEN page, but I'd like to give a co-teacher/teacher assistant/faculty secretary administrative access to the TWEN page, how do I do this? Before you begin you'll have to obtain that individual's Westlaw password. Once you have their password you can then set up their administrator rights. Go into your course and scroll to the bottom of the screen and look for a link titled: "Modify Course", click on this link. At the next screen click on the "Modify Course Information" link and scroll down to the section labeled "Co-Teacher Access". Enter the numeric portion of the Westlaw passwords (separated by commas) of any co-teachers/teacher assistants/faculty secretaries. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Submit Course Changes".
These instructions may also be used to change the course name, the course registration date and to update the e-mail options.
7. I'll be using this same TWEN page next semester how do I update it? Go into your course and scroll to the bottom of the screen and look for a link titled: "Modify Course", click on this link. At the next screen scroll down to the section labeled "Administration", and click on the "Update this Course" link. Fill out the form on the next screen and you'll be good to go.
8. Is additional training available? Yes, If you would like additional training on TWEN contact Janet Hedin, Reference Librarian, at 517/432-6957 or by e-mail at email@example.com.