I Talk To?
Financial aid disbursement* and refund dates are tied to the main MSU academic calendar, not the College of Law academic calendar. Therefore, you may receive disbursements and refunds later than your rent, books and other expenses are due.
To bridge this gap, the University offers short-term loans of up to $2,500.
Sign up for direct deposit online to receive funds as quickly as possible. (select the Student Accounts tile, click on “Go to My Account”, then “My Account” then “Direct Deposit refunds”)
HOW TO APPLY FOR A SHORT TERM LOAN
- In the Student Account Portal, click in the Student Accounts tile.
- Choose Short Term Loans from the MSU Loans menu.
- Log in to SIS with the same login info as the Student Accounts Portal.
- Select the Short Term Loan Application from the Financial Aid Menu at the top.
- Review the terms and click Apply for a Short Term Loan.
- If you meet the criteria, you will be instantly approved and have your funds direct deposited into your bank account.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- Friday, August 12 – Initial Financial Aid Disbursements Begin for Law Students
- Monday, August 22 – Law classes begin for all students
- Friday, August 26 – Refunds for law students begin
Starting August 12, you will begin to see various types of aid credited to your student portal. Depending on the type(s) of aid you receive, you may not see all of the aid in your financial aid package disburse until close to the first day of law classes, August 22.
Those who have excess financial aid that generates a refund will begin to see refunds in their accounts on August 26, if signed up for direct deposit. Please monitor your student portal throughout the month of August for messages from the Office of Financial Aid so that you can take any actions needed on your part to keep the aid process flowing and get your refund on time.
Students not signed up for direct deposit will be issued checks, mailed to the current address on file. This can delay deposit of your refund by at least ten days or more if you have not updated your address, so we strongly encourage you to sign up for direct deposit online.
*Disbursement of your financial aid is when aid is applied to your student account.
Contact Information and Office Hours
The Office of Financial Aid is currently serving students remotely. To contact the Financial Aid team that advises law students, please call (517) 353-2401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Federal School Code: 002290
Note: Students with Canadian student loan forms (OSAP, StudentAidBC) should remit them to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Conflict of Interest Policy & Code of Conduct for Financial Aid Professionals (PDF)
Applying for external (non-MSU Law) scholarships, grants or other aid to offset the cost of your degree? Your award may impact your loan eligibility. Questions? Read the Institutional Awards Policy or email email@example.com.
Please note that all payments made by credit card will be subject to a 2.5% processing fee. Please keep this in mind when arranging payment.