Top 10 Laptop Anti-Theft Tips
- KEEP YOUR LAPTOP CLOSE AT HAND! Never leave your laptop computer unattended in any public location (i.e. Library, Sparty's, study lounges, offices, etc.) or in a locker. Don't start leaving your laptop for "just for a minute" or even for an emergency because it may sprout legs and disappear. If possible, remain in physical contact with it at all times (yes, take it into the restroom if you must). Do not leave your laptop alone!
- If possible use a security device such as steel cable locks security plates or alarms to secure your laptop computer. Many laptop vendors sell security devices. The laptop manufacturer may recommend and sell security devices on their own website.
- Always contact the MSU Dept of Police and Public Safety (517-355-2222) in the event of a theft.
- Keep a copy of the laptop serial number in a safe place that is easily accessible in the event of a theft.
- Homeowners insurance may cover the loss of your laptop outside the home (contact your agent or insurance company for more information). People living in apartments should consider getting renters insurance.
- Register your laptop through the manufacturer's product registration program.
- Keep the Laptop Out of Sight: If thieves can't see a laptop, they can't steal a laptop. While showing off your shiny new laptop to your peers is probably okay, carrying it around openly is just asking for trouble. When the laptop is not being used, it should be safely tucked away in a locked desk drawer or in its bag.
- Choose an Inconspicuous Carrying Case: If you choose a flashy, expensive-looking laptop bag it will gain more than the attention of your peers. An inconspicuous laptop is a safer laptop. Students should keep carrying implements as basic as possible. An appropriately padded school bag or backpack will do just as good a job of physically protecting the laptop while providing much better concealment from eyes looking for laptops to steal.
- Label and Tag the Laptop and All Accessories: Make sure that everything that can be labeled is labeled with the name of the individual that owns it, and ensure that these labels are conspicuous. The potential theft value of a laptop is reduced greatly when additional work is required to remove the identifying marks. Conspicuous identity labels also significantly increase the risk of a potential thief being caught in the act of theft.
- REMEMBER, it is not guaranteed that these tips will prevent the theft of your laptop. However, using most of these tips will significantly reduce your risk of being a victim of laptop theft.
Additional Yahoo Article: http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/thinking-ahead-to-prevent-laptop-theft/153204