Instructional Tax Class for
MSU International Students & Scholars
* Classes are for NonResidents only. If you are a Resident, please contact the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Are you a Resident or a NonResident for tax purposes?
To help determine your residency status, please review this worksheet (PDF).
Register as a NonResident (MSU NetID required)
- Saturday, February 20, 9:30 AM
- Saturday, March 19, 9:30 AM
- Saturday, March 19, 1:30 PM
- Saturday, April 2, 9:30 AM
- Saturday, April 2, 1:30 PM
- Saturday, April 9, 9:30 AM
You must register to attend a class. If you do not register prior to a class, you will not be allowed to attend that class. Arrive 20 min. prior to start of class to "check in." Classes will begin promptly and run approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours in length. Late arrivals will NOT be admitted!
If you had wages or a scholarship from MICHIGAN AND another STATE in 2015, we will help you prepare your FEDERAL return, but we are UNABLE to assist with your MULTI-STATE tax returns.
CHECKLIST OF ITEMS YOU MUST BRING TO CLASS:
- LAPTOP (You must bring a laptop --a tablet or smart phone will NOT work and you will NOT be admitted to the class without a laptop. You cannot share a laptop with another classmate);
- USB portable drive (to save your tax returns to);
- Visa/Immigration status information, including Form DS-2019 (if J status) or Form I-20 (if F status);
- Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have been assigned one); click here to determine if you need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number;
- Address Information (Current U.S. Address and Foreign Address);
- U.S. entry and exit dates for 2015 and all past visits to the U.S.;
- Academic institution information (name, address, and phone number of your academic advisor);
- Forms W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099 (if you did not receive a W-2 or 1042-S, check with MSU Payroll; Please note: 1042-S forms are not mailed out until March 15, 2016. You must have this form before you prepare your return. Please contact MSU Accounting to obtain a copy before you attend the class.);
- A copy of your 2014 federal income tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ), if you filed one in 2014;
- Calculator and pencil; and
- TWO copies of the following forms and bring them with you:
We will provide pre-addressed envelopes for you to use to mail your returns.