(Updated: Wed., November 25, 2015 2:22 PM)
Accounting for Lawyers ( - 502) - Lameti, R.
1. Accounting for Lawyers, Concise 4th ed. by Herwitz and Barrett. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1599410401.
2. Accounting for Lawyers Unabridged and Concise 4th ed., 2013 Supplement by Herwitz and Barrett. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1609304188.Assignment: WEEK 1 (January 14)
Introduction to Bookkeeping - Debit and Credit
pp. 1-23; Problem 1.1A & 1.1B (p.23-25).
Administrative Law ( - 532) - Kalt, B.
Administrative Procedure and Practice: Problems and Cases, by Funk, Shapiro and Weaver. 5th ed. West. ISBN: 978-0314286949.Assignment: Details:
Advanced Topics in Indian Law: Tribal Law ( - 635A) - Fletcher, M.
American Indian Tribal Law by Matthew Fletcher. 2011, Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 978-0735599758.Assignment: Details:
Advocacy ( - 530J) - O'Regan, D.
Books: 1. Laurel Currie Oates, Anne Enquist & Connie Crontz, Just Briefs (3d ed. 2013) ISBN: 978-1454805540.
2. Anne Enquist & Laurel Currie Oates, Just Writing: Grammar, Punctuation, and Style for the Legal Writer (4th ed. 2013). Enquist and Oates. ISBN: 978-1454826989.
3. The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (20th ed. 2015). ISBN: 978-0692400197.
4. Tracy L. McGaugh & Christine Hurt, Interactive Citation Workbook for The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (2015). LexisNexis.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Copland, J.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Ching, B.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - LaRose, S.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Mansour, S.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Lawrence, D.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Gentry, K.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Costello, N.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Stokstad, P.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Rosa, J.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Spiliopoulos, E.
Advocacy ( - 530J) - Goebel, E.
Agricultural Law ( - 566N) - Deacon, B.
Food, Farming and Sustainability Readings in Agricultural Law by Susan Schneider. Carolina Academic Press. ISBN: 978-1594605888.Assignment: Details:
American Legal History Seminar ( - 636) - Ten Brink, C.
1. Law in American History, Vol. 1: From the Colonial Years Through the Civil War by G. Edward White. Oxford Press. ISBN: 978-0195102475.
2. History of American Law by Friendman, 3rd ed. S & S Publisher. ISBN: 978-1599418636.Assignment: Sign up on the TWEN page for this course and review the syllabus. Readings for the first class are also posted on the TWEN page.Details:
Analytical Methods for Lawyers-Game Theory ( - 637D) - Biddle, J.
Game Theory and the Law by Baird, Gertner and Picker. Paperback, 1998. ISBN: 978-0674341112.Assignment: Details:
Animal Law ( - 565A) - Favre, D.
Animal Law: Welfare, Interests & Rights by Favre, 2nd ed., Aspen Elective. ISBN: 978-1454802662.Assignment: Details: During the semester a wide variety of animal related topics will be discussed: animals as property, damages for harming animals, veterinarian malpractice, criminal cruelty toward animals, farm animals, the Federal Animal Welfare Act, animal jurisprudence and the social movement seeking to help animals. This will be done in the discussion format of a seminar class where everyone is expected to contribute.
Business Enterprises ( - 500M) - Bean, B.
1. Business Associations by Klein, Ramseyer and Bainbridge. 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th editions. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1609303495.
2. Mastering Corporations by Lee Harris. Carolina Academic Press. ISBN: 978-1594604447.Assignment: Details:
Chapter 11 Reorganization ( - 506F) - Lawton, A.
The Law of Debtors and Creditors: Text, Cases and Problems by Warren, Westbrook, Porter and Pottow. 7th ed. Aspen. ISBN: 978-1454822387. Looseleaf ISBN: 978-1454848384.Assignment: Details:
Child Advocacy ( - 541A) - Beaton, H.
Children and The Law: Doctrine, Policy and Practice by Abrams, Ramsey and Mangold. 5th ed. American Casebook, Aspen. ISBN: 978-0314287670.Assignment: Details:
Civil Rights Clinic I ( - 630X) - Manville, D.
1.Prisoner Self Help Litigation Manual by Manville. 2010 Oxford Press. ISBN: 978-0195374407.
2. You will need a copy of both the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Federal Rules of Evidence.Assignment: Details:
Civil Trial Advocacy I ( - 587B) - Young, R.
1. Pretrial by Thomas Mauet, 8th ed.Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 978-1454803034.
2. You will need online access to Michigan Civil Procedure from ICLE.Assignment: Details:
Codex Alimentarius ( - 810F) - Hegarty, P.
Books: No textbook required. Assignment: Details:
Constitutional Law and the Regulatory State ( - 530S) - Sant'Ambrogio, M.
Constitutional Law and Regulatory State. Custom text, 2nd ed. ISBN: 978-1454846833. This text will be available for purchase at the Spartan Bookstore.Assignment: Details:
Constitutional Law and the Regulatory State ( - 530S) - Morag-Levine, N.
Constitutional Law/Regulator State, Aspen Custom text. ISBN: 978-1454875789. You can purchase these books at the Spartan Bookstore.Assignment: Details:
Constitutional Law and the Regulatory State ( - 530S) - Lawrence, M.
Books: Required: REVISED 11.19.15
Constitutional Law and The Regulatory State Custom Ed. 3E prepared by Professor M. Lawrence. . ISBN: 978-1454876830.
Constitutional Law II ( - 500N) - Bitensky, S.
1. Constitutional Law Cases and Materials by Jonathon Varat, et.al. 14th ed. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1609302559.
2. 2015 Supplement - Constitutional Law Cases and Materials by Jonathan Varat & Vikram Amar. 14th ed. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1634594905.Assignment: Details:
Constitutional Law Topics: Free Expression ( - 551B) - Saunders, K.
John Garvey & Frederick Schauer, The First Amendment: A Reader. 2nd ed. 1996.
This is an old text with many used copies available. It is still the best text for this course.Assignment: Details:
Corporate Finance ( - 508B) - Spoon, E.
Corporate Finance: Principles and Practice by William Carney. 3rd ed. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1609304584.Assignment: Details:
Corporate Income Taxation ( - 508C) - Wease, J.
1. Fundamentals of Corporate Taxation: Cases and Materials by 8th ed. Foundation Press (2012) ISBN: 978-16093006855.
2. Corporate and Partnership Income Tax Code and Regulations: Selected Sections (2015-2016 ed.), Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1634593908.Assignment: Details:
Corporate Law and Policy Seminar ( - 508D) - Walther, B.
Books: No textbook required.Assignment: Details:
Criminal Law ( - 500F) - Totten, M.
Cases: Materials on Criminal Law by Joshua Dressler and Stephen Garvey. 6th ed. (this is the edition the professor will be using). West. ISBN: 978-0134279822.Assignment: Details:
Criminal Law ( - 500F) - O'Brien, B.
CAses and Materials on Criminal Law by Joshua Dressler and Stephen Garvey. 6th ed. West Academic Publishing. ISBN: 978-0314279828. The professor is requiring the 6th ed.Assignment: Details:
Criminal Law ( - 500F) - Aquilina, R.
Defining Crimes by Stuntz and Hoffman. Aspen Casebook 2nd ed. ISBN: 978-1454851356.Assignment: Details:
Criminal Procedure: Investigation ( - 616B) - Aquilina, R.
1. Criminal Procedure Investigation by Chemerinsky and Levenson. 2nd ed. Wolters Kluwer. USBN: 978-1454807131.
2. Criminal Procedure, 2015 Cases and Statutory Supplement. ISBN: 978-1454859376.Assignment: Details:
Criminal Trial Advocacy I - PreTrial ( - 617A) - Kaplan, S.
Criminal Trial Advocacy III Post-Conviction Remedies ( - 617C) - Scullion, M.
Decedents' Estates and Trusts ( - 501D) - Jacobs, M.
Wills & Trusts by Dukeminier and Sitkoff. 9th ed. Aspen. ISBN: 978-1454824572.
The 9th ed. is required.Assignment: Details:
Entrepreneurial Lawyering ( - 537E) - Grady, K., Linna Jr., D.
1. Blue Ocean Strategy by Chan and Mauborgne. Harvard Business School Publishing, 2015. ISBN: 978-1625274496.
2. Running Lean by Maurya. O'Reilly Media, 2012. ISBN: 978-1449305178.
3. Business Model Generation by Osterwalder, Alexander and Yves Pigneur. John Wiley and Sons, 2010. ISBN: 978-0470876411.
4. A coursepack for this course will also be available at the Spartan Bookstore.Assignment: Details:
Environmental Law ( - 566A) - Morag-Levine, N.
Environmental Regulation: Law, Science and Policy by Percival, et.al. 7th ed. Aspen. ISBN: 978-1454822287.Assignment: Details:
Evidence ( - 500P) - Pucillo, P.
1. Evidence by George Fisher, 3rd ed. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1609300609.
2. Federal Rules of Evidence Statutory Supplement. 2015-2016. ISBN: 978-1634593946.Assignment: In preparation for our first class (on Monday, January 11), please:
(1) register for our course TWEN page (which will be open as of Monday, January 4)
(2) review the course syllabus (posted to the TWEN page’s Course Materials folder);
(3) review—and be prepared to discuss—Rules 401 and 402 of the Federal Rules of Evidence (along with the applicable Advisory Committee notes and other drafting history);
(4) review—and be prepared to discuss—the material on the following pages of George Fisher, EVIDENCE (3d ed., Foundation Press 2012) (our casebook for the semester):
• 1-6 (up to the section on “Tanner v. United States: Historical Prelude”)
Federal Investigation and Prosecution ( - 616E) - Schneider, M.
Federal Jurisdiction ( - 579G) - Fletcher, M.
The Federal Courts and the Federal System by Hart and Wechser. 6th edition ISBN: 978-1599413426. The 7th edition is also acceptable, ISBN: 978-1609304270.Assignment: Details:
Food Regulation in the U.S. ( - 810A) - Fortin, N.
Halal Food: An Introduction to Islamic Laws and Ethics ( - 545K) - Moghul, U.
The Parameters of Halal and Haram in Shariah and the Halal Industry. 2013 ed. ISBN: 978-1565645554.Assignment: Details:
Immigration Consequences of Crime ( - 541T) - Kloet, J.
International Food Laws and Regulations ( - 810D) - Fortin, N.
International Human Rights ( - 548F) - Bitensky, S.
1. International Human Rights: Law, Policy and Process by Weissbrodt et.al. by David Weissbrodt, et.al. 4th ed. LexisNexis. ISBN: 978-1422411735.
2. Selected International Human Rights Instruments by David Weissbrodt et al. 4th ed. LexisNexis. ISBN: 978-1422411742.Assignment: Details:
Introduction to Islamic Law ( - 545F) - Khalil, M.
An Introduction to Islamic Law by Wael B. Hallaq. Cambridge University Press, 2009. ISBN: 978-1521678735.Assignment: Details:
King Scholars Seminar ( - 626D) - Saunders, K.
Land Use Planning ( - 566B) - Ten Brink, C.
Books: Required: Land Use Planning and Dvelopement Regulation Law by Juergensmeyer & Roberts. 3rd ed. Hornbrook Series by Wet. ISBN: 978-0314286475.
Assignment: Sign up on the TWEN page for this course and review the syllabus. Readings for the first class are also posted on TWEN.Details:
Law and Economics ( - 515) - Mercuro, N.
Economics and the Law: From Posner to Post-Modernism and Beyond by Nicholas Mercuro and Steven G. Medema. 2nd ed. Princeton University Press, 2007.
The professor will contact students regarding an additional reader.Assignment: Details:
Law and Interpretation ( - 579R) - Ravitch, F.
The Language of Judges by Larry Sloan. University of Chicago Press. ISBN: 978-0226767918.Assignment: Details:
Law and Religion ( - 579K) - Ravitch, F.
Law and Religion: Cases, Materials and Readings by Ravitch and Baker. 3rd ed., West, 2015. ISBN: 978-0314284075.Assignment: Details:
Law Practice Management ( - 592) - Kaser, B.
Mortgages ( - 593C) - Johnson, C.
Books: No textbook required. The professor will provide materials.Assignment: Details:
Negotiation ( - 591C) - Basta, J.
Lawyer Negotiation Theory, Practice and Law by Folberg and Golan. 2nd ed., 2011.Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 978-0735599703.Assignment: Details:
Negotiation ( - 591C) - Raheem, A.
Effective Legal Negotiation and Settlement by Charles Craver, 7th ed. LexisNexis. ISBN: 978-0769848983.
Assignment: Details: This course will focus on the skills necessary for effective performance in negotiation, mediation, and arbitration. We will use three texts, Getting to Yes (Fisher, Ury, & Patton) Getting Past No (Ury), and People Skills, (R. Bolton) and rely on a number of other sources---articles, audio visual materials, and hands on exercises, both role plays and simulations. The rationale for this course is compelling: Negotiation is the central process in dispute resolution, and yet receives the least amount of rigorous training and practice across the globe. Whether your practice is as an advocate or as a neutral, it is critical to understand negotiation if one is to wisely utilize processes like mediation and arbitration. Despite its growing presence in the legal system, negotiation and dispute resolution are neither well understood nor well practiced.
Partnership Taxation ( - 519) - Sartori, L.
Fundamentals of Partnership Taxation by Stephen Schwarz and Daniel Lathrope. 9th ed. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1609300692.Assignment: Details:
Problem Solving in Michigan Family Law ( - 600G) - Gentry, K.
Books: No required text. The professor will supply a coursepack.
Recommended text: Michigan Bar Exam Essay Deconstruction by Glazier and Frederick. Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 978-0735509955.Assignment: Details:
Professional Responsibility ( - 500Q) - Knake, R.
Professional Responsibility: A Contemporary Approach. 2nd ed. (Interactive Casebook Series) West. ISBN: 978-0314287816.Assignment: Details:
Property ( - 500G) - Carter-Johnson, J.
Property: A Contemporary Approach by Sprankling and Coletta. 2 ed. (Interactive Casebook Series) ISBN: 978-0314275547.Assignment: Details:
Property ( - 500G) - Lawrence, M.
Property, Concise ed. by Dukeminier, Krier, et.al. Wolters Kluwer. 2014 ed. ISBN: 978-1454851387.
Property ( - 500G) - Favre, D.
Property: Concise Edition by Dukeminier, Krier, Alexander, et.al. Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 978-145485187. For the digital version go to: www.aspenlaw.com/connected.Assignment: Details:
Property ( - 500G) - Singel, W.
Property: A Contemporary Approach (Interactive Casebook Series) by Sprankling and Coletta. 3rd ed. West. ISBN: 978-1628101980.Assignment: Details:
Refugee and Asylum Law Seminar ( - 541U) - Jordan, E.
Immigration and Refugee Law and Policy by Legomsky and Rodriguez. 6th ed. ISBN: 978-1609304249.Assignment: Details:
Regulation of Agricultural Production & Marketing ( - 810M) - Oldfield, M.
Sales and Leases ( - 501F) - Spoon, E.
1. Sales and Leases: A Problem Solving Approach by Linda Rusch and Stephen Sepinuck. West Publishing. ISBN: 978-0314192035. This is not the most recent edition but it is the edition the professor will be using.
2. Commercial Law: Selected Statutes, 2015-2016 by William Warren and Steven Walt. Foundation Press. ISBN: 978-1634593885.
Sales and Leases ( - 501F) - Barnhizer, D.
1. Commercial Transactions Under the Uniform Commercial Code and Other Laws by King, Kuenzel, Stone and Knight. LexisNexis, 2011. ISBN: 978-1422480663.
2. Selected Commercial Statutes by Chomsky, Kunz, Schiltz and Tabb. 2015 ed. ISBN: 978-1634595926.Assignment: Details:
Secured Transactions ( - 501E) - Johnson, C.
Problems and Materials on Secured Transactions by Whaley & McJohn. 8th ed. Wolters Kluwer. ISBN: 978-0735592490.Assignment: Read Chapter 1.Details:
Tax Clinic I ( - 630C) - Wease, J.
Tax Controversies: Practice an Procedure by Lederman and Mazza. 3rd ed. LexisNexis. ISBN: 978-1422422632.Assignment: Details:
Torts II ( - 525) - Kalt, B.
Prosser, Wade and Schwartz's Torts: Cases and Materials by Schwartz, Kelly and Partlett. 12th ed. (this is the edition the professor will be using). Foundation Press. ISBN: 9781599417042.Assignment: Details:
Trademark Law and Unfair Competition Law ( - 533N) - Blattner, J.
Trademark and Unfair Competition Law Cases & Materials by Ginsburg, Litman & Kevlin. 5th ed. LexisNexis. ISBN: 978-0769868844 (looseleaf ed.)
The supplement is available on line at: http://www.lexisnexis.com/store/images/Supplements/3377-2015Supplement.pdf Assignment: Details:
Trial Practice Institute-Trial II ( - 623E) - Buckley, J.
1. ICLE Michigan Courtroom Evidence, 4th ed.
The professor will provide additional handouts during the semester.
List was updated 11.10.15Assignment: Details:
Trial Practice Institute: Theatrical Skills - Advocacy as a Performing Art ( - 623A) - Job, M.